Drawing from her experience in commercial design and architecture in Germany, Minu now lives and works as an independent artist and maker in New Zealand. She sells her artwork, limited edition prints and plush objects in selected galleries and online.
Minu’s anthropomorphic characters and scenes are based on traditional archetypes: the unwilling (grumpy) and lonely hero, the companion on a journey; the dangers and shadows of the past, present and future. Even though her characters are dark and melancholic, they emit something strangely positive and uplifting. They shift their shapes, wear various skins, or live in symbioses with other beings; they often are caught between stagnation and change.
Though not addressed to children, minu’s artwork is often seen as working well with children.
“Far from her German origins, Minu Freitag lives on a hill overlooking the Wellington Harbour in New Zealand and asks herself what she is doing here. She has no qualifications to write books, even fewer qualifications to write in English. Still, she asks her readers to bear with her and to follow her on a journey through a world that she knew existed ever since she saw the dark things hiding in the shadows under her bed and compared them with the darker shadows haunting the histories of more than one world.”
_ The Fragments, The Spheres Book One (to be released July 28, 2022)
_ The House, The Spheres Book Two (planned for mid-2023)
– The Second House (WT), The Spheres Book Three (planned for mid-2024)
- ‘Ink’ a printmaking group show at the Collaboration in New Plymouth, April 2022
- “The Wolf and the Fox”, new works on paper and wood, with Rieko Woodford-Robinson, November 2012
- “Wild thing”, Group Show at Black Asterix in Auckland, November 2012
- “A curious nature”, new works on paper and wood, with Rieko Woodford-Robinson, November 2011
- “Fragments…”, new works on paper, wood and canvas at the New Zealand Art Show, August 2011
- “Heads Up”, Toi Poneke Artists Annual Group Show, Wellington, May 2011
- “In Your Dreams…”, new works on paper, Deluxe Cafe, Wellington, October 2010
- “Head On”, Toi Poneke Artists Annual Group Show, Wellington, August 2011
- “Fragile Shadows”, new works on paper, wood and canvas at the New Zealand Art Show, August 2010
- “Woven Tales of Ink Silver and Silk”, Group Exhibition, Wellington, New Zealand, November 2009
- Mail Me Art, Short and Sweet 2013, Book and Exhibition, London UK August 2013
- Mail Me Art 2010: Medium Without a Message, Book and Exhibition, London UK August 2010
- Crammed Organisms 2008: The world largest Plush show, Book and Exhibition, Saint Louis, USA, 2008